Friday, May 14, 2010

Old is timeless



I don't know what the attraction is, but I have always liked old things. Perhaps it is the untold story that lingers within the object. I like old houses, old kitchen items, old cars and old books. In fact, I much prefer old to anything new. To me old things provide comfort. They are well worn and used. There is a history to something that has scratches, dings and torn pages. Anything that appears to seen many a day is just my cup of tea.


The old items I have collected at various places are some of my most cherished. My great grandma's quilts, generations of family silver, recipes handed down from various people, old plates from car boot sales in England and the list goes on.

I have many collections of older things that I have started and some that I would like to start. The list is endless. Old linens, antique pie tins, belik china, pie flutes.


In the meantime, everytime I use the hand-embroidered linen that I aquired from my grandparent's closet, I will wonder how many other tables it was laid across. A reminder of my Grandma is seen in every stitch so lovingly crocheted into blankets. My Aunt Kathee is renown for her garage sale skills and has loads of collectibles. Perhaps I should plan a trip to Vancouver soon as I hear she is on the verge of decluttering.


For now, I guess I better take my "old" self to the kitchen and wish that my skin had the patina of aged furniture.

Deliveries will be on Sunday from 9a.m. - 11a.m.

We will be at the Farmers Market with baked good which will feature Strawberries, cherries and blueberries


Menu

Savory

Chicken and Blue Cheese Pie (10 inch Pie) $25 or $5/serving

chicken breast, zucchini, mushrooms, blue cheese, mascarpone cheese

Baked Ziti with spicy pork Full Tray $25 or $5/serving

pancetta, pork shoulder, hot Italian sausage, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, tomato

Vegetable Strudel $5/serving

carrots, green beans, broccoli florets, leeks, sweetcorn, cheese, basil

Goat Cheese, Zucchini and Mint Tart in a cheese crust $4/serving

Goat Cheese, zucchini, fresh mint, parm cheese


Salad

Sesame chicken salad with ginger lime dressing $7/quart

Breakfast

Fresh Strawberry Cinnamon Rolls $3/cinnamon roll or $12/Tray (12 in a tray)Strawberries, cinnamon, yeast, milk

Dessert

Lemon semolina cake with strawberry jam $4/slice

lemon, semolina, strawberry jam

Cherry-mascarpone tart $4/tart

fresh cherries, mascarpone shortcrust pastry


Blueberry trifle $5/trifle

elderflower cordial, blueberry conserve, custard, blueberries, pistachios

Cookies

Blueberry and almond cookies $5/bag 8 cookies

Ice Cream

Strawberry and Sage Ice Cream $5/quart


No comments: