Friday, March 19, 2010

French Macarons


Macarons are tiny colorful cookies that are now seen all over at bakeries and pastry shops. I have been trying to perfect them for awhile. There are many different techniques to make these and advice found on blogs and websites haven't produced the perfect macaron, for me.

After my somewhat futile attempts, I finally took a class in San Francisco and got the missing pieces to the puzzle. Actually, I think it was one missing piece - I have been over stirring the temperamental batter.

So, I had my best success yet! I am beginning to think it is a well practiced art, so I am going to keep at it. Although the colors are what initially attracted me to these cute cookies, I think I like them in their natural state . Maybe just with some great topping on top. In this way, they somehow seem more organic.

So I have added them to the menu this week, so you can give me your input. I hope in upcoming months to work on some different flavors/fillings.

Menu

Savory
Tri-Tip Beef Stroganoff with wild mushrooms served over noodles. $25/pan (9x13) or
$5/serving
mixed mushrooms, tri-tip, shallots, sweet paprika, non-fat yogurt

Slow Roasted pork with apple chili chutney served with fresh rolls $25/pan with rolls or $5/serving
pork, thyme fennel seeds, onion, apples

Crespeou - $5/piece
A savory cake using thin omelette's and layers of red, yellow and green. red onion, turmeric, green onion, tomatoes, red pepper, basil green chili, tarragon.

Vegetarian cauliflower, spinach and chickpea balti $5/serving
spinach, cauliflower, tomatoes, chickpeas, coriander, garam masala, chili powder, onions, ginger

Breakfast
Banana streusel donuts 6 for $4 or $2/donut

Side
Salt Lick Potato Salad (GOES GOOD WITH PORK) quart $5

Sweet
Organic Peanut Butter Pie $4/piece
a chocolate crust, , chocolate peanut butter coating and a light peanut butter filling (using organic peanut butter)

Butterscotch Cashew Bars $3 for 2 bars sweet, salty and chewy

French Macarons 6 cookies for $4 (should be eaten with in 3-5 days)filled with salted carmel, chocolate ganache and raspberry jam

NOTE: I have a freezer now at the office where we deliver so I will add ice cream back on the menu!
Snickerdoodle/lemon ice cream sandwiches $3

Double chocolate crepes $3
chocolate crepes, with chocolate filling

Breton Buckwheat cake with sea salt $4/slice

No comments: