Thursday, August 27, 2009

Daring Bakers - Dobos Torta



The August 2009 Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Angela of A Spoonfulof Sugar and Lorraine of Not Quite Nigella. They chose the spectacular DobosTorte based on a recipe from Rick Rodgers' cookbook Kaffeehaus: ExquisiteDesserts from the Classic Caffés of Vienna, Budapest, and Prague.
So, what is the Dobos Torta (or Torte)?
The Dobos Torta is a five-layer sponge cake, filled with a rich chocolate buttercream and topped with thin wedges of caramel. (You may come across recipes which have anywhere between six and 12 layers of cake; there are numerous family variations!) It was invented in 1885 by József C. Dobos, a Hungarian baker, and it rapidly became famous throughout Europe for both its extraordinary taste and its keeping properties. The recipe was a secret until Dobos retired in 1906 and gave the recipe to the Budapest Confectioners' and Gingerbread Makers' Chamber of Industry, providing that every member of the chamber can use it freely.

I made a mini torta with 7 layers. For some reason I feel like the layers need to an odd number. I added a Walnut Liquer to each sponge layer. Adding a slightly nutty flavor. Instead of the traditional triangles on top, I choose to put my carmel slivers on the side of the cake.
The cake was a bit too sweet for me but liked by others. I would maybe change the frosting next time.
Thanks Lorriane and Angela for a great challenge! I enjoyed each layer of it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully decorated!

Julie (Willow Bird Baking) said...

Your torte is beauuuuutiful!! What a lovely presentation.

Lisa said...

Gorgeous Dobos! I love the flower smack in the middle, as it adds color and makes it even more appealing than it already looks! Beautifully done!