Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Ravens Restaurant in Mendocino

Vegan Chocolate Cake
Vegan Apple Crumble Cake
Vegan Cake with Chocolate Frosting
Chocolate Oatmeal Balls (vegan)

Months ago, I started dropping hints to friends and family that I didn't want this monumental birthday to pass without some fanfare. I am not sure why, I am normally quite happy to quietly let my birthdays slip pass. For some reason, I thought this big event of turning 40 was going to be life changing. My good friend K was the first to step up to the plate with the offer to go with me for a weekend away. Actually, she wanted to throw me a big party and I wanted to go away, so she kindly obliged. I randomly picked a place from the Internet. Not being a mainstream, kinda girl, I figured Napa was out. The thought of a spa weekend still appealed to me. It was the relaxation part that really held my attention. Mendocino looked nice from the pictures I found. It was near the beach, which I love and we got all the amenities of a Napa spa, including a great Vegan Restaurant. I couldn't have made a better choice, if I do say so myself. The Standford Inn was beautiful and provided many extras, including some great vegan chocolate chip cookies after our massage and facial. The rooms even came with mountain bikes, which we took advantage of. K provided some great movies which we watched on a rainy Saturday evening. Believe it or not, watching movies is a huge treat for me. Our first night at the Inn we ate at the Ravens Restaurant (attached to the Inn). We decided to try it, figuring we could eat in town on Saturday. We had a three course meal (completely Vegan) which was surprisingly delicious and filling. We liked it so much we had breakfast, tea and dinner the next day.

I arrived home on Sunday and my husband had prepared my favorite meal of steak and his famous mashed potatoes. Mocha Almond Fudge Ice Cream Cake (a tradition) for dessert. Great cards from my kids and a new set of screwdrivers from them. I really asked for screwdrivers! The presents I received were spectacular and I can't thank everyone enough. Overall, it wasn't such a life altering event. Maybe such great family and friends eased me into my 40th year. I am looking forward to going back to quiet birthdays (that is until my 50th)!