Saturday, November 6, 2010

Hole in the Wall


It is a well known fact that I enjoy good food. I enjoy fresh, healthy and flavorful food. But every once in awhile I get that greasy good urge. You know, the kind of food you would only find in a Diner. Well, I had one of those moments last week. When I had my craving, I was in San Francisco in the Sunset District. This is an up and coming area for food in the City (according to the locals). You can find everything from Mediterranean food, Oriental, Vegan, Pies, etc. but no Diners. No Diners that is until I walked about 6 blocks. As the restaurants thinned out, I came across this little (and I do mean little) Diner. Since I love the small, unassuming restaurants I decided to give it a try. Art's Place is a mix of Vietnamese and American Food. I know that sounds strange but trust me! They take the good old American Breakfast of hash brown and eggs and fill it with Vietnamese flavored meat and American Cheese. Then fold it over so it looks like an omelet. Add an over easy egg (cooked perfect) some toast and rice, and you have one great breakfast! Besides the great breakfast I enjoyed ,watching the owners work in the very close quarters. The kitchen is open and has about two and half feet between the stove and the counter. You can actually feel the heat come off the stove while sitting at the counter.
Next week, I will be at the Nutree Farmers Market on Wednesday from 3pm-7pm and at Mankas Corners on Saturday from 10am - 3:30p.m.
Deliveries this week will be on Sunday from 9am-11am
Menu
Italian Sweet and Sour Squash Bowls (full tray 8 filled squash halves ) $25 or $5/serving
Italian turkey sausage, garlic, onion, red pepper, Italian spices, roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts, basil , spinach, whole wheat bread crumbs
Braised Ham with Apples and Cider $25/pan or $5 serving
beans, ham, apples, cider, onion, leek, celery and sage
Vegetarian
Sopes with Vegetarian Topping $5/serving
black beans, chili, cilantro, avocado, red onion, zucchini
Soup
Moroccan spiced soup with couscous $6/quart
butternut squash, harrisa, celery, carrot, beef rump, dried apricots, tomatoes
Breakfast
Baked Apple Struesel Pancake Bars (6 bars) $5
Sweet
Mini molasses cookies with lemon filling (8 cookies) $4
Pear and Dark Chocolate crumble $4/crumble
Toffee apple and rhubarb cake $4/piece
Mango and Pomagranate Fool $4/cup


No comments: